Ann H. Gaither - 1999
Ann Heafner Gaither joined the Company in 1974 and served in a variety of positions
until 1985, when she was named CEO and Executive Vice President. She assumed operating
control and overall responsibility for the J.H. Heafner Company, Inc., until 1990 when
she transferred operating control to her son, William H. Gaither.
During her tenure,
her accomplishments included:
- Computerization of the Company
- Company growth at double the industry growth rate under Mrs. Gaither's leadership
- Completion of the Company's largest acquisition, Beach Tire Mart in 1985, which added
5 warehouses and expanded the Company's distribution into three new states.
- Induction into the Tire Industry Hall of Fame as the first female inductee and the
only sibling of a previous inductee to be elected to the Hall of Fame.
Outside her responsibilities with Heafner, Mrs. Gaither was very active in state government
and volunteer work within her community. Below are some of the highlights of her involvement:
- 1993-1999 Appointed to NC Department of Transportation
- 1991-1993 First Female Chair of Trustees - UNC at Greensboro
- 1989-1993 Elder - Presbyterian Church
- 1986-1992 Western Piedmont Girl Scout Board Member - Catawba County
- 1994 Working Woman list of America's Top 50 Women (no. 30 in '94)
- 1989 Savvy 60 - List of top Women Business Executives (no. 30)