After serving in the U.S. Army Air Force during World War II, T.O. Haas founded T.O. Haas Tire Company in 1947 with one tire, a tire vulcanizer, and a rented building. Haas Tire grew from these humble beginnings to be a 500 employee industry leader in the Midwest, with 2 warehouses, 4 distribution points, a commercial center, and 29 retail outlets servicing 9 states.
Mr. Haas was progressive with marketing efforts and computerization as he developed new tire dealerships in the Midwest. Mr. Haas has been an active leader in both civic and industry matters for decades. His accomplishments include:
He has received numerous awards for his civic interests. His involvement includes:
In 1999 Mr. Haas' donation and other efforts made it possible for the University of Nebraska to install a new turf at it's football stadium with a synthetic, grass-like surface that uses crumb rubber from tires.
Most recently, American Tire Distributors and T.O. Haas Tire made a $350,000 donation to the University of Nebraska in Mr. Haas' name in recognition of his years of service to the University and the Lincoln, NE community.
Mr. Haas died in 2002.